I recently played trumpet in a carol service. I hadn’t played the descants before, but there was an added complication for one of the carols—I only had the descant in concert pitch. Since I stand a much better chance of playing the right notes when reading a B♭-pitch score, I decided to try my hand at typesetting the carol myself.
Several of the notes were different from my version, so I corrected those and added a descant [obscured for copyright reasons]. I also found out how to add the tails-up, tails-down notation common when printing two parts on one staff. Then I added musical phrasing and some lyrics. I had to play about with the layout settings quite a bit to make it fit on one page. I was very pleased with the end result:
Finally, with the addition of five “transpose” statements—one for each part and one for the descant—and a change of clef from bass to treble, I produced the sheet music for B♭ instruments:
I am very impressed with LilyPond. I am now installing Ubuntu to have a go at using Rosegarden, a GUI for editing music. I might be able to compile it on DarwinPorts and run it on Mac OS X, but it seems simpler to get it running on a Linux VM.